Some Bible verses about worship that don’t get quoted very often: “I hate, I despise, your feasts! I can’t stand the stench of your solemn assemblies … Take away from me the noise of your song! I will not listen to the music of your harps.” Amos 5:21,23
- Sat, 04 Dec 2021 14:40:22 -0600
I am not a big fan of musicals in general, but the recent Fresh Air triple episode tribute to Steven Sondheim was moving and it turns out I actually like his music a lot. It’s complex and dense and beautiful and abstract.
- Fri, 03 Dec 2021 16:05:04 -0600
Why can’t Siri, the musicologist, as Phil Schiller called it, do something as simple as Play all my Sting albums in order of release? Or Add all of Beethoven to my up next?
- Mon, 29 Nov 2021 15:22:54 -0600
I usually shower on Thursday and Sunday. But I needed to shower yesterday - so I’m off my schedule. Which means I can’t shower today, Sunday, because that would mean showering 2 days in a row.
- Sun, 28 Nov 2021 18:32:04 -0600
Every person makes observations and draws conclusions from those observations. This is what we are, and that’s alright.
- Sat, 27 Nov 2021 00:28:30 -0600
in other news … yes, I got my covid booster today … and why does it feel like a risky thing to discuss? I feel all twisted up about this aspect of the current state of things. There are only a few people I know with whom I would dare to bring up vaccines.
- Mon, 22 Nov 2021 22:05:50 -0600
Could the entire Internet go back to just Wikipedia and a few friendly forums I like?
- Mon, 22 Nov 2021 21:59:02 -0600
During my COVID booster today, I heard “Wonderful Christmas Time” for the first time this year. Among my all time least favorite songs. The timing of it all just seemed odd.
- Mon, 22 Nov 2021 21:19:01 -0600
Last night I watched an episode of Star Trek Voyager - the main plot was that the crew found a planet where an alien species had stashed some humans that they abducted from Earth in 1937, INCLUDING, Amelia Earhart. Some abductees had escaped and in the 400 intervening years formed a new human civilization. Incredible story. This is why I watch TV.
- Wed, 17 Nov 2021 11:06:36 -0600
Just as sounds do indeed exist in empty woods, albums can still exist even though they’re not available on the major retail streaming outlets.
- Mon, 08 Nov 2021 08:26:34 -0600
I don’t like being seen, and I don’t understand why people like to do live videos so much. Attention grubbing and vain.
- Fri, 05 Nov 2021 10:29:18 -0500
The “new” Radiohead song Follow Me Around is just weird. In the vein of Electioneering. Drop D. Almost bluesy, which is disorienting.
- Wed, 03 Nov 2021 23:04:11 -0500
Started playing SUPER METROID. Unsure why it took me nearly 30 years to figure out that it’s a great game, but I’m glad I did.
- Fri, 29 Oct 2021 13:28:49 -0500
Watching THE VELVET UNDERGROUND. Awesome.
- Thu, 21 Oct 2021 21:14:59 -0500
you want to write about your middle school rock band - and the jimmy jam - and teaching George the bass. But you also want to eat mozza sticks and watch SUCCESSION - because the internet is talking a lot about SUCCESSION - a marketing thing. Also, you want to listen to the REM album NEW ADVENTURES IN HI FI - which is their most underrated album to debut at no.2. Goodnight.
- Thu, 14 Oct 2021 22:00:47 -0500
Among cultural artifacts I should revisit: Plastic Ono Band is higher up the list than The Queen’s Gambit.
No offense to The Queen’s Gambit.
- Wed, 06 Oct 2021 20:48:30 -0500
I don’t know why but I can’t shake the feeling that I am secretly despised by many - almost everyone actually secretly despises me.
- Mon, 04 Oct 2021 10:21:08 -0500
American Idiot is a great album. Not embarrassed to say so. It’s no Invisible Man - but it’s good.
- Thu, 30 Sep 2021 18:09:59 -0500
A hot take for today: Rough and Rowdy Ways is not only a solid album for an 80 year old icon - it is the best album of Dylan’s entire career.
- Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:58:02 -0500
“I lost the ball for about three seconds,” Johnson said postgame. “Luckily it popped back into my vision. That’s part of it. You know, you can’t make excuses. That’s part of the elements. You see different elements throughout the year. I’m grateful I came down with it. It felt good.”
Sports in general would be better if we, as the public, would let players do their talking on the field of play.
Unless, of course, what they have to say dovetails with a pertinent political issue the country is grappling with. Then, by all means, let’s hear their fire hot takes.
- Sat, 25 Sep 2021 23:28:24 -0500
I want to trim my dog’s nails, and I got the nail clippers, but I’m doggone nervous about the entire thing. Nothing to do but take the furry plunge and remember how much I used to hate trimming my own nails.
- Wed, 22 Sep 2021 14:55:35 -0500
when there’s a knife already in the butter dish that had been used, and I go to make another kind of sandwich, i just take that butter knife, wipe if off on the bread, then dip it into whatever fresh spread I’m about to use.
- Tue, 21 Sep 2021 10:25:39 -0500
Haven’t had enough time to do the crossword lately. That must be remedied, somehow, someway.
- Tue, 21 Sep 2021 08:34:00 -0500
Got this up and running again.
- Mon, 20 Sep 2021 22:20:42 -0500
In other news, trying to get the Homepod to play “Jesus Lord by Kanye West” instead of “Jesus is Lord by Kanye West” is a high degree of difficulty.
- Mon, 13 Sep 2021 18:42:11 -0500
When I was just now pouring the water into the water well of the coffee maker, some drops accidentally spilled into the grounds in the basket - I was mortified by those drips, because the ground aren’t supposed to get wet prior to the brew - but I was also too lazy to change them out for fresh. #life
- Mon, 13 Sep 2021 18:37:20 -0500
It only took me 4 days, but I got the car seat put back together.
- Thu, 26 Aug 2021 13:49:58 -0500
Rich Mullins. If you haven’t listened to him, he’s far more than whatever you thought. Listen.
- Wed, 25 Aug 2021 15:50:05 -0500
The 2nd half of Modern Vampires of the City is up there with Abbey Road as my favorite records ever. Such great flow of tunes and moods. I love it and it makes me happy and sad all at the same time every time I listen.
- Wed, 18 Aug 2021 16:39:18 -0500
Busy rearranging deck chairs today, and most days.
- Mon, 16 Aug 2021 16:02:01 -0500
Yesterday was Friday the 13th.
- Sat, 14 Aug 2021 12:12:53 -0500
COVID-19 updated #9: when the pandemic started, I was preparing multiple bottles of baby milk each morning to save time. Now I’m potty training.
- Sat, 14 Aug 2021 08:23:35 -0500
One of the oddest, and yet coolest, experiences I’ve had was getting to, in a very impromptu manner, play guitar in a band tossed together by a friend that would open for Bon Iver at the student union in Iowa City. 2008 or so? In the Black Box theater.
- Wed, 11 Aug 2021 22:57:40 -0500
What does it mean that I haven’t watched the Olympics at all this year? Or that I don’t care about them. Or that I don’t feel any emotional affinity for any sports team anymore. Or care about sports at all.
- Sat, 07 Aug 2021 15:32:49 -0500
I had previously thought that Guided By Voices were a conventional classic rock band that I wouldn’t be into. Like The Shins. But I found out yesterday that that isn’t at all true. They’re weird, and from Ohio.
- Wed, 14 Jul 2021 22:56:20 -0500
Karl Ove on cutting off another driver when changing lanes and almost causing an accident: “The angry blast of his horn cut straight into my soul.“￼
I get this. The feeling of having troubled someone and provoked an outburst. Shameful.
- Thu, 01 Jul 2021 23:03:10 -0500
It is a rule in our house, inscribed upon tablets of stone, and the tablets of human hearts, that the morning pot of coffee be a darker roast, and the afternoon pot of coffee be a lighter roast.
- Tue, 29 Jun 2021 13:27:07 -0500
I can’t believe it’s Monday. I almost forgot to take the trash out. Considering the idea that I could listen closely to music more often. Instead of all the talk. The inanity of it all. Read and write more, do the crosswords, complete the crosswords, figure out how to make music again.
- Mon, 28 Jun 2021 22:01:46 -0500
AC repair person finally here. We are on day 4 of no AC upstairs. It’s been close to 90 up there in the late afternoon, and no lower than 84 at night.
Would it have been nice for them to come earlier? Yes. But they’ve been swamped. And we are an understanding family. That is part of our DNA.
- Mon, 28 Jun 2021 08:59:42 -0500
For an unknown reason, Fox requested that we play “bird sounds” on the car stereo. So Marielle dialed in an hour of bird sounds on YouTube and he was happy. Why?? How??
- Tue, 22 Jun 2021 13:08:32 -0500
Think about all those times you heated something in the microwave for 10 seconds. Now think about all the time you could’ve saved if you’d punched in 9 instead.
- Thu, 27 May 2021 01:52:29 UTC
I can feel Fox beginning to quit his nap time. And it’s fine. I will handle it and move on.
- Thu, 20 May 2021 15:05:23 -0500
I might be watching only Star Trek series for the rest of my life.
- Fri, 14 May 2021 21:57:02 -0500
In other news, last night I was reading on my Kindle in bed and my spouse had fallen asleep fairly close by. Then I lost my grip on the Kindle and it fell part on my face part on her. Not a great moment there.
- Mon, 10 May 2021 12:16:57 -0500
Many would count Blink 182’s song “The Rock Show” among their lame later career flare ups that fall flat - but for whatever reason, it’s their song that sticks the most in my head.
- Mon, 10 May 2021 12:02:34 -0500
The other day my spouse looked at our apple cider vinegar and said “I’m worried about the mother.” She had to explain this to me, but when I understood, I realized that I was also worried about the mother.
- Sun, 09 May 2021 22:22:27 -0500
My latest way of getting through each day unscathed: doing the NYT crossword.
- Sat, 08 May 2021 20:43:23 UTC
Got my second vaccine dose for my birthday. Then got In and Out burger.
- Tue, 27 Apr 2021 15:05:10 -0500
Sometimes you feel a bit better about everything when you take the case off of your phone for awhile.
- Fri, 23 Apr 2021 21:34:31 -0500
- LW has been a morning monster this week. he can’t contain his enthusiasm for the day.
- he spent 22 minutes sitting on my neck in the living room this morning
- late breakfast; MarioKart; hiking game
- picking up SM w boys
- got two NOISE notifications from my Watch this afternoon when Fox gave his loudest and highest pitch screams
- Star Trek, Animal Crossing, dishes
- bed at 10:50
- Listening: The Daily, Meet My Friends the Friends, MacCast, The Improvement Association
- Fri, 23 Apr 2021 10:45:37 -0500
- up early. LLLLLW was going wild at 6 AM
- Suzuki is cancelled for today
- First time to ROOTS coffee in over a year
- Drove by the covid testing site. Considered getting a test just because.
- Apple event today. AirTags. Pffffft.
- George Floyd murder trial verdicts annc’d: Guilty on all counts.
- Marielle at d-hall. dinner just w kids.
- watching Nausicaaaaaaa.
- Listening: The Daily, Road Work (great episode), The Incomparable, Live Apple event coverage, The Improvement Association
- Tue, 20 Apr 2021 22:23:54 -0500
Nobody is posting about Lord Yupa tonight. So here’s a tweet about LORD YUPA and his outstanding swordsmanship.
- Wed, 21 Apr 2021 03:11:50 UTC
Fox is playing Animal Crossing a bit - and he was in the flower field doing the crying action - he said he was watering the flowers w/ his tears.
In other news, went to a coffee shop for the 2nd time in a year.
- Tue, 20 Apr 2021 16:39:03 -0500
At a middle school track meet. This is tweeting the way tweets were originally meant to be tweeted by the tweet framers.
- Sat, 17 Apr 2021 14:47:02 -0500
- out of bed 6:50. boys sleeping late again. western day for Fox.
- rainy, rainy, rainy
- misc play. no lunch call w anyone. talked to M briefly.
- nap; dishes; garbage; laundry
- pick up; exchanged 2 old car seats at Target for a 20% off coupon for a new car seat - but it’s worth it just to have them gone.
- Costco pizza
- kids sleeping out in the livingroom; reading; generally in a mad mood; shower; typing
- Listening: The Daily, Accidental Tech Podcast, Total Party Kill, It’s Been a Minute, Fresh Air, One More Thing, The Improvement Association, the rain, Summerteeth, Kind of Blue,
- Drinking: coffee, white wine
- Sat, 17 Apr 2021 14:45:54 -0500
I wrote an email to a random Japanese ambient guitarist that I happened upon. This morning received a reply from him thanking me for the compliment on his songs. He also asked that I let him hear some of my music sometime - but I don’t have anything real to show him.
Gotta fix this. Enough is enough.
- Thu, 15 Apr 2021 03:28:44 UTC
- SM in my room waking me at 6:40 again today.
- prepping salsa chicken crock pot
- woke FX at 7:30; breakfast; to school
- toodling around the house; lunch call w mom
- naps; putting clothes away
- pick up; milkshake at Sonic; got gas Costco
- home; misc play; dinner
- dishes; working on desk & room clutter
- Listening: The Daily, Magnus Archives, Best Show, Fresh Air, The Rebound
- Wed, 14 Apr 2021 22:25:27 -0500
- up late at 7:15
- Fox still running 100 degrees; no church for boys
- outside play; Fox worked on letters & numbers
- the warp and the woof
- lunches; girls to home depot
- installed table leaf, new light
- brinner; outside play
- bedtimes; shower & shave; digitized M’s skydive video from 2006
- listened to livestream of Sufjan’s forthcoming instrumental album (meh)
- Mon, 12 Apr 2021 03:52:05 UTC
April 10, 2021 at 4:49:00 PM CDT
- up at 6:20 with LW
- cooked oatmeal with raisins and apples for breakfast
- IKEA trip. lunch in the restaurant. returned the stools we didn’t like.
- home. watched We Can Be Heroes, kids movie on Netflix by Robert Rodriguez. good.
- Fox feverish. game with new stuffed snakes. spaghetti for dinner.
- laundry and a movie, MANK.
- bed at 11:45
- Sat, 10 Apr 2021 23:44:18 -0500
There’s something about wearing a short sleeved shirt after 9 PM that feels wrong, and even immoral.
In other news, watched MANK. Four stars.
- Sat, 10 Apr 2021 23:42:33 -0500
The return line at this IKEA is OUTRAGEOUS
- Sat, 10 Apr 2021 10:49:48 -0500
April 9, 2021
- up 6:40. dreamed about my glasses falling apart and I met JG’s spouse for the first time and they’d had another baby during the pandemic
- Fox up late 7:30
- finished front room rearrangement; vacuumed upstairs
- lunch; dishwasher; tidied under sink cabinet
- picked up Fox; milkshake at Sonic
- Costco pizza dinner
- Girls doing crafts downstairs, me chasing around LW
- sold turnips at 531
- Listening: The Daily (Odessa), Best Show Bests, Criminal, ATP
- Fri, 09 Apr 2021 21:43:39 -0500
April 8, 2021
- up 6:45
- cheesy egg whites w/ the boys. cereal.
- upstairs play; rearranged upstairs, moving the multi basket storage unit downstairs; dumped out several entire buckets into the trash
- outside play
- lay downs before picking up Sylvia Mae; Fox and I laid on my bed under the fan
- home; play; dinner; play doh; Marielle at d-hall
- in bed 10:45
- Listening: The Daily, Connected, Clockwise, Washington Today
- Fri, 09 Apr 2021 07:27:40 -0500
I was heating up some coffee earlier and set the microwave to 23 seconds. Then decided to cancel it and reset it for 26 seconds.
- Thu, 08 Apr 2021 21:59:35 -0500
April 7, 2021
- up late at 7. boys slept in.
- late breakfast - 5 min late to preschool drop off
- played & tidied upstairs. filled 1 bag for the trash
- dishwasher, diaper laundry, fixed chair
- picked up. library drop off.
- prepared chicken drummies for dinner
- outside play
- Listening: Numberphile Podcast, The Daily, Best Show, I Should Be Writing, The Incomparable, Slow & Low (Tetsu Inoue)
- Watching: Rambalac
- Wed, 07 Apr 2021 22:07:26 -0500
Collected an entire 13 gallon trash bag of randomness to throw away. I do this on occasion when nobody else is home - but don’t tell anyone. To my kids reading this some day, “I’m not sorry.”
- Wed, 07 Apr 2021 13:48:22 -0500
April 6, 2021 DAILY
- out of bed 6:45. LW
- girls out the door. Fox slept in.
- bagel, egg scramble, greens, cereal
- outside play
- lunch out back at picnic table
- nap failures; loud wind and work on roof next door
- living room play; ladder play; upstairs play; PBS kids
- back outside. Girls home. Sonic. Suzuki practice
- bedtimes. Magic Fireplace. ordered weed eater string. reading.
- in bed 11
- Listening: The Daily, Upgrade, The Incomparable, FiveThirtyEight Politics, Micro Monday
- Tue, 06 Apr 2021 21:49:10 -0500
I love when my automatic lighting routines that I have set up run at their appointed times and there is nobody old enough that is home to disrupt their perfection and guidance.
- Mon, 05 Apr 2021 12:27:56 -0500
TIL the dad from That 70’s Show was the Klingon Chancellor in Star Trek VI. Which is weird.
- Sun, 04 Apr 2021 23:27:31 -0500
McDonald’s breakfast for GOOD FRIDAY. It is a Good FRIDAY indeed.
- Fri, 02 Apr 2021 07:43:17 -0500
I get a small moment of joy by going through the day’s Netflix TOP 10 and giving everything a THUMBS DOWN rating.
- Tue, 30 Mar 2021 22:10:01 -0500
First vaccine dose this morning. The beginning of the end.
- Tue, 30 Mar 2021 08:19:54 -0500
- Sat, 27 Mar 2021 20:35:01 -0500
FORTNITE sponsoring many of the Apple nerd-o-sphere podcasts I listen to has been a weird thing this week. 1) It’s such a well known thing worldwide, compared to many sponsors of smaller podcasts. 2) It’s almost like they’re trying to troll Apple as a follow up to their App Store conflict.
- Sat, 27 Mar 2021 12:35:17 -0500
What does it mean when you’re doing the crossword puzzle on a Friday evening?
- Fri, 19 Mar 2021 18:35:12 -0500
Playing Animal Crossing - dug up all of Gulliver’s missing communicator parts on the beach - and then kept them all so we can let them rust to build a robot.
Feel ever so slightly guilty about that.
- Fri, 19 Mar 2021 16:33:34 -0500
I explained to my 3 year old son why it’s better to watch Cocomelon on Netflix instead of Youtube because we don’t have to watch ads - and that Youtube is free because people pay them to run ads.
This might be peak dad.
- Tue, 09 Mar 2021 12:03:42 -0600
I am so sick and tired of the republican claim that conservatives are being censored online. It is so so so so SO bogus. And they know it.
- Wed, 03 Mar 2021 10:20:37 -0600
Trying to experiment with just using the iPad for all my kitchen counter computing. Would be so much better w/ the newer model of Magic Keyboard, although using a mouse with iPadOS is pretty righteous. Is that still a thing people say?
- Mon, 01 Mar 2021 12:48:19 -0600
You know its the truth. You know it deep in your bones.
- Sat, 27 Feb 2021 23:37:51 -0600
Why does mommy shark have to be smaller than daddy shark?
- Tue, 23 Feb 2021 18:02:45 -0600
It’s funny how when you’re watching an older show in standard def, and your data cap runs out, you don’t even notice the drop in picture quality due to the slower connection.
- Fri, 19 Feb 2021 11:53:18 -0600
My daughter visited someone’s Star Trek DS-9 themed Animal Crossing island today. Which is AWESOME. They had a bunch of custom designed portraits of all the major characters. And Federation uniforms in Abel Sisters.
- Wed, 17 Feb 2021 17:02:32 -0600
OUR POWER HAS RETURNED. After 35 hours of outage, you never know how much you love and rely on something until it’s gone.
- Tue, 16 Feb 2021 17:18:05 -0600
I tonight started watching a South Korean movie, “Burning.” It is good; it does also feature some adult situations, so parental discretion is advised.
- Wed, 10 Feb 2021 22:04:59 -0600
I felt the fleeting desire to pick up my guitar and play and sing today.
- Wed, 10 Feb 2021 12:57:37 -0600
If you can just play the right music … who knows what might happen.
- Tue, 09 Feb 2021 19:56:49 -0600
TX is just a very large collection of small villages and clans and tribes and main street no name towns. Formed into weird conglomerates and metros.
TX is an abbreviation for the US state of TEXAS.
- Tue, 09 Feb 2021 17:49:29 -0600
Getting around to watching the final season of The Good Place.
- Mon, 08 Feb 2021 21:32:13 -0600
There’s a thing here in TX called “Mother’s Day Out” that is sort of a hybrid daycare/preschool/drop-in childcare. It’s often abbreviated “MDO.” I find these things funny, for whatever reason.
- Wed, 03 Feb 2021 14:49:35 -0600
Update: my contract was expiring, so I elected to switch electricity providers. The new provider is giving me 2 smart thermostats, which is cool and good. Also, Fox started at a new pre-k today.
- Wed, 03 Feb 2021 13:35:30 -0600
On occasion you decide take the luxury of an afternoon rest - but then you race against the very fabric of space and time to get done everything that the day requires.
Wait - that isn’t a description of a special occasion - it’s just how every one regular old day proceeds.
- Sun, 31 Jan 2021 15:23:57 -0600
There’s something so serious about encouraging kids to eat vegetables for dinner, and so ridiculous about then yourself eating sugary cereal late at night.
- Fri, 29 Jan 2021 22:39:08 -0600
When you start an mp3 playing, you have a sacred obligation to finish that thing a playin.
- Fri, 29 Jan 2021 20:28:55 -0600
I sifted through my contacts address book today for the first time in years. Deleted about 300 contacts.
- Sat, 23 Jan 2021 19:22:18 -0600
Put away the Christmas tree today. Into a giant new bag that is Christmas colored. A relief. Made new wolfsweat juice to get through the afternoons without having to eat all the cookie dough every day.
- Sat, 23 Jan 2021 14:33:33 -0600
Up with the baby. That is all.
- Sat, 23 Jan 2021 00:31:23 -0600
In the past 58 days I’ve misplaced two different Swiss Army knives in my house. This is very disconcerting.
- Thu, 21 Jan 2021 15:55:02 -0600
If you promise not to tell anyone else, I’ll tell you a secret: … There are finely ground up mushrooms in the recently made meatballs.
- Tue, 19 Jan 2021 12:29:13 -0600
COVID 19 update #8 - You do the dishes. You watch the TV episode and eat the nachos. You adjust the lighting. And it is enough.
- Mon, 18 Jan 2021 22:14:45 -0600
What does it mean that all the state capitols were ready for armed protests - and, at most, a dozen people showed up? 3 showed up in Iowa.
- Mon, 18 Jan 2021 09:53:19 -0600
This morning I bought turnips for 95 bells. Hoping for one of those 445 bell price spikes this week.
- Sun, 17 Jan 2021 19:36:27 -0600
The other day I told my wife two things: 1) Netflix was shutting down service to the Wii U; 2) The actor in that show is also a well known rapper. It was like I had remarked upon the cloudy weather outside. She could not possibly have cared less. Which is reasonable.
- Fri, 15 Jan 2021 14:36:23 -0600
Thought about folding laundry but decided to play Animal Crossing. Great ending to a sad story. ￼
- Tue, 12 Jan 2021 22:32:24 -0600
Your won’t believe what happened in the episode of Star Trek I just watched. A teleporter accident caused the main crew members to be beamed into a holosuite program as enemies of the doctor, who was a spy. He had to avoid killing the crew so that their essences could be recovered from the program.
It was amazing.
- Sun, 10 Jan 2021 23:08:44 -0600
Important update: in recent days, I’ve discovered that if I get the coffee for the next day ready in the afternoon instead of the evening, I can save time for a critical juncture in the day when I’m often pressed for time and seeking peace and not more random stuff to do.
- Sat, 09 Jan 2021 15:53:14 -0600
President Trump was booted permanently from Twitter this evening. The world feels different to me somehow after this. I feel a sense of relief, but also an odd uncertainty and displacement.
- Fri, 08 Jan 2021 21:57:52 -0600
Did Grimes also move to TX? That is a much bigger deal than that other guy moving to TX.
- Thu, 07 Jan 2021 15:33:32 -0600
My 3 y/o has this concept of the “small bite.” It’s not a “small bite” in the traditional sense. His definition is like biting just a few molecules off of something.
- Wed, 06 Jan 2021 09:48:15 -0600
The experience of a 5 y/o and a 3 y/o playing Animal Crossing together is incredibly grating and frustrating. Sandpaper across my soul. Why must it be so difficult??
- Mon, 04 Jan 2021 16:40:56 -0600
Getting the baby out for a walk around the neighborhood this morning.￼
- Sat, 02 Jan 2021 09:39:13 -0600
Arrived via warp 7 at S4 of Deep Space Nine while doing dishes tonight. Why did they change the theme song? Adding that small underlying pulse ruins the rubato feel of the original theme. For shame.
- Fri, 01 Jan 2021 23:43:13 -0600
This is just to say: I was awake when the calendar turned over to 2021. As evidenced by the time stamp on this note. Many fireworks went off in our area and I thought the kids would wake. Also, we couldn’t see the Animal Crossing NYE countdown because our Resident Center hadn’t been upgraded.
- Fri, 01 Jan 2021 00:33:37 -0600
Spent a lot of the morning cleaning. Secretly threw away 2 garbage bags of misc toys. Don’t tell my kids. If you’re one of my children reading this in the future, No, I’m not sorry.
- Thu, 31 Dec 2020 12:36:19 -0600
Speaking of preferences, I’m mostly not a “Binge watch an entire season in a weekend” kind of person. I like when episodes are trickled out weekly-like Expanse S5 now. There’s a rhythm to it and drama in the waiting.
- Wed, 30 Dec 2020 22:39:07 -0600
I’ve always been a “Shower in the evening” person. If you’re a “Shower in the morning person,” I get it - but you’re still wrong! Going to sleep on clean sheets is the only way to live.
- Wed, 30 Dec 2020 21:47:35 -0600
I have an idea I can’t shake - that on rainy, cold, icy, evenings, I am safer, because people who might be out to harm me will stay home b/c of the bad weather.
- Mon, 28 Dec 2020 19:38:19 -0600
Watching THE MANDALORIAN S2
- Wed, 23 Dec 2020 21:23:12 -0600
Henlo friends and world
- Wed, 23 Dec 2020 16:01:50 -0600
COVID 19 update #7: A lot has happened since my last update. I met someone for coffee for the first time - which probably wasn’t the greatest idea, but you do it anyway sometimes. It’s wonderful Christmas time - having a concrete reason to do our own family Christmas is nice. Two new sections of back yard fence. Yesterday the soccer ball was kicked over the newest of them.
- Wed, 23 Dec 2020 15:16:35 -0600
Coffee with a friend at Race Street Coffee. First time meeting up with someone in public since March. Hope it was alright. Good coffee. Now I have a fancy coffee shop paper cup to use for a few days.
- Sat, 19 Dec 2020 11:44:48 -0600
This should appear at 7 AM if everything goes well. Good luck out there little buddy.
- Tue, 15 Dec 2020 22:56:48 -0600
This should ALSO appear at 7 AM if all went well. Good luck out there little buddy.
- Tue, 15 Dec 2020 22:56:02 -0600
Wonder sometimes what portion of my personality and actions boil down simply to “Coffee consumption.”
- Sat, 12 Dec 2020 18:30:15 -0600
Hello from my phone
- Fri, 11 Dec 2020 12:54:32 -0600
Technology updates: I rolled back to Mojave on my old unsupported Mac, thanks to a series of nagging Catalina bugs. My neighbor gifted me an HDMI cable. TV update: I found out that Midnight Diner & Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories are separate shows in Netflix.
- Sun, 07 Jun 2020 16:32:29 -0500
COVID-19 update #6: We have accrued an incredible amount of plastic bags left over from school lunch pickups. I’ve been watching David Lynch’s weather reports on YT. The splint on my injured hand got cut back above the wrist today. It’s not always coffee in dads coffee cup.
- Thu, 04 Jun 2020 21:05:29 -0500
Graduation happening for Marielle’s school today. At TX Motor Speedway. Cool place to graduate, all things considered. She’s helping. Getting an officially branded school mask.
- Sun, 31 May 2020 15:21:22 -0500
I’m pretty jealous of the astronauts today, because leaving the planet for a few days seems like a fine option right now. ￼
- Sat, 30 May 2020 16:49:45 UTC
Current status: sitting in the backyard, tending the fire, working on my stretching finger. Everyone else is in the tent, camping out in the yard, watching Cars.
- Sat, 30 May 2020 02:34:03 UTC
Caught my finger in my dog’s halter a few weeks ago and haven’t been able to move the tip of my finger since. Finally went to the doc today. Heading in for tendon surgery tomorrow morning. Having even a 50% working extra finger will be awesome.
- Thu, 07 May 2020 00:43:16 UTC
My wife is at a senior high school celebration event. Which is great. but it also looks like a football tailgater and not a responsible event held in the context of a pandemic.
- Tue, 05 May 2020 21:21:37 UTC
My daughter just invited me to meet her at her skeleton horse ranch. In Minecraft, of course.
- Tue, 05 May 2020 19:58:10 UTC
Just now considered watching THE WIRE again. I watched it all back in 2008. What a ride it was then. Plus Prime Video plays it in the new 16:9 reformatted version. Then again, do I have time to watch a TV show through??
- Sun, 12 Apr 2020 03:30:03 UTC
COVID-19 update #5: I am eating lots of bread. This is the only time in the past decade I have truly wished for a printer. I fill the house with the sounds of distant talking.
- Mon, 30 Mar 2020 17:27:19 UTC
COVID 19 update #4 - my daughter can’t find the way back to her ranch in Minecraft. The dog is having the time of his life. My middle son started calling Swiss Cake Rolls “Wonderpants.” The baby is nearly crawling.
- Wed, 25 Mar 2020 17:27:08 UTC
COVID-19 update #3 - It is Monday. It is Monday. IT IS MONDAY - not Saturday or Sunday. Monday. I discovered that the mark that indicates the toaster setting is in a difference spot that I’d previously thought - so I’ve been toasting everything wrong.
- Mon, 23 Mar 2020 13:46:11 UTC
COVID-19 update #2: the kids' preschool is set to reopen 3/30 pending any orders from on high. With curbside drop off only. Parents not allowed in the building. Also, we haven’t eaten all the falafel. It is raining again and again and again.
- Fri, 20 Mar 2020 14:19:05 UTC
COVID 19 update 1: we are making fallafel today. The robot vacuum ran on MAX mode and couldn’t find its way home. I am formulating an arrangement of MARVELOUS LIGHT in my head I hope to finish soon.
- Tue, 17 Mar 2020 16:42:27 UTC
There was a coffee shop in Iowa City around 2004-I think it was called Hennepin Coffee-it was downtown at Iowa Ave and Linn-they served coffee in pint beer glasses with cardboard sleeves to protect from the heat.
- Sat, 07 Mar 2020 03:41:51 UTC
Me: Why do you enjoy causing me so much grief?
Daughter: haha yes. Grief is a funny word.
- Thu, 20 Feb 2020 19:39:53 UTC
Odd STAR WARS moment I will most remember from SKYWALKER RISE: the chimp expertly welding together Kylo Ren’s helmet. Where did that guy come from?
- Wed, 22 Jan 2020 03:59:20 UTC
Finally saw the latest STAR WARS. It was fine. I honestly wanted to see it mostly so I could listen to the podcasts about it in my back catalog. But as an evening out, it was fun times.
- Wed, 22 Jan 2020 03:55:31 UTC
Watching the STAR WARS prequels for the first time since they were in theaters. These movies are not as bad as the purists would have you believe. Come on now, people.
- Mon, 20 Jan 2020 04:02:40 UTC
My wife, in her infinite wisdom, looked at the offical calendar and discovered that the kids don’t return to school until tomorrow. Right as I was getting geared up to get them ready and out the door.
- Mon, 06 Jan 2020 13:40:14 UTC
Don’t share this with anyone - but I often will purposefully smack my lips loudly when eating alone. I forget whether I’ve ever shared this before - but like I said, please keep it to yourself.
- Mon, 16 Dec 2019 16:35:18 UTC
Where Alan Jackson comes from they’re trying hard to get to heaven, but that’s not how heaven works.
- Fri, 13 Dec 2019 13:56:16 UTC
Now beginning to admit that I guess I like science fiction. Watching BATTLESTAR GALACTICA - and I’ll be up all night Friday watching the new season of THE EXPANSE.
- Wed, 11 Dec 2019 16:26:17 UTC
Watched the Disney+ version of STAR WARS last night. Can’t get enough of M’CLUNKEY. Funniest thing I’ve seen in my entire life.
- Sat, 23 Nov 2019 16:21:40 UTC
One of my favorite #impeachmenthearings details: David Holmes being able to clearly hear President Trump’s voice without being on speaker while Sondland held it away from his face. We’ve all met people with voices like that - that just carry without effort - so perfectly fits the President’s demeanor.
- Thu, 21 Nov 2019 14:58:36 UTC
Sondland has been sipping from his coffee cup A LOT - way more than any other witness. Doesn’t mean anything except that he’s going to need to take more frequent bathroom breaks.
- Wed, 20 Nov 2019 17:14:11 UTC
I’ve decided to take up the nickname “America’s Mayor.”
- Wed, 20 Nov 2019 17:04:39 UTC
I love watching the #ImpeachmentHearings on C-Span because they don’t cut away from the room during breaks - just show the goings on and mannerisms and conversation and what’s generally happening among folks. Just people milling around.
- Fri, 15 Nov 2019 19:43:09 UTC
Watching one of the thousand BARBIE shows on Netflix. Learned that her last name is Roberts, in the universe of this particular show at least. She also used the word “adulting” when describing to her parents why her new job would prevent her from going on the family vacation.
- Thu, 07 Nov 2019 20:20:28 UTC
More kids in DFW North Texas are named Landry than anywhere in the world. In fact, I’ve never heard the name anywhere but here.
- Thu, 07 Nov 2019 18:23:16 UTC
If you gave up on MR ROBOT during S2, you’re missing out. Missing out, I tell you!
- Mon, 04 Nov 2019 16:41:40 UTC
Typically, I make one pot of coffee each morning. But every other day I make an extra pot at some point - then drink on it through the evening and save the rest for the next day’s first cup.
- Tue, 29 Oct 2019 20:25:34 UTC
AirPods PRO earned the PRO moniker by being completely earwax resistant.
- Mon, 28 Oct 2019 21:47:51 UTC
tbh, I care more about the new episodes of LITTLE BABY BUM that just made it to Netflix than any new show or movie they’re releasing.
- Sat, 26 Oct 2019 12:49:49 UTC
Found my asparagus tie black rubber band wedding ring in my jeans pocket today. Excited to stop wearing my daughter’s sparkly hair ties as rings. IN OTHER NEWS, listening to R.E.M.
- Thu, 24 Oct 2019 21:36:31 UTC
also, I usually bring home the small paper coffee cup from church and use it as my bathroom water cup for that entire upcoming week.
- Sun, 20 Oct 2019 19:51:17 UTC
Going to be that guy: why would I watch an NFL game when I could be watching another beautiful episode of Rick Steves’ Europe?
- Sun, 20 Oct 2019 19:21:43 UTC
I love sauce. That is all. Just sauce all the time on everything. Give me the sauce.
- Tue, 15 Oct 2019 17:53:05 UTC
First outing just me and the kids, plus the baby. To Cabela’s. Fun but nervous.
- Tue, 15 Oct 2019 15:54:54 UTC
There’s a kid named Enzo playing on the nearby field. There’s also a woman drinking Topo Chico from a plastic bottle. Not her own bottle, but the same one that the beverage came in. It’s windy.
- Sat, 28 Sep 2019 14:09:44 UTC
Loving iOS 13.1 - and especially the updates to Shortcuts. Outstanding, yet little heralded.
- Wed, 25 Sep 2019 04:35:22 UTC
Eagerly anticipating Ken Burns Jr’s 2067 documentary “SoundCloud Rap.”
- Thu, 19 Sep 2019 23:59:35 -0500
Discovered in a pile of papers a drawing my daughter made. Took my breath away for a second because of all the large piercing eyes in it.
- Tue, 17 Sep 2019 15:11:20 -0500
I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness.
- Sun, 15 Sep 2019 09:47:32 -0500
This baby is coming TODAY
- Thu, 12 Sep 2019 07:37:25 -0500
The Battle of Who Could Care Less stick in my head today. Good tune.
- Thu, 29 Aug 2019 11:34:22 -0500
Remember the cheese curds we had at that place? Yes i do - THE BUFFALO
- Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:16:58 -0500
Yesterday I learned from Rick Steves (#YILFRS): 80 million people live in Germany, a country the size of Montana.
- Mon, 19 Aug 2019 11:22:31 -0500
Lets talk about the arm wrestling scene from Twin Peaks. Tell you what: that’s something worth talking about.
- Sat, 17 Aug 2019 12:55:55 -0500
You just don’t want to go outside when it’s 100 or more. Can’t figure out much to do right now.
- Tue, 13 Aug 2019 11:02:36 -0500
112 heat index. Power company email asks to raise your thermostat by 4 degrees. My wife says that that’s directed at “normal” people who keep it set at 70. I set ours at 82.
- Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:20:19 -0500
How many people have converted to Catholicism because Father Brown is such an awesome detective?
- Tue, 06 Aug 2019 12:48:45 -0500
Wish I would’ve put off learning to ride the pedal bike until fall.
- Tue, 06 Aug 2019 09:03:21 -0500
Unfortunately I didn’t get around to watching that TV I said I would.
- Mon, 29 Jul 2019 18:25:32 -0500
In other news: an asteroid almost smashed into earth yesterday. A city killer. Filed in the department of existential threats that aren’t going away.
- Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:32:05 -0500
What’re you guys up to tonight? I’m giving kids baths and watching TV.
- Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:26:34 -0500
The window cleaner who suddenly appears in S3E14 of Twin Peaks is doing the worst squeegee work I’ve ever seen.
- Tue, 09 Jul 2019 21:42:58 -0500
Trip to NE Mall today. Hoooooooot our today. CCF Big Give post today. Today today today is a day.
- Mon, 08 Jul 2019 14:28:34 -0500
This morning our dog got out - chased a lady halfway up the block - then foolishly stopped to poop in the yard across the street, which is how I caught him.
- Sun, 30 Jun 2019 07:59:46 -0500
Band name idea: Paw.
- Wed, 26 Jun 2019 18:59:29 -0500
The problem is that I want to have ALL of the entertainment experiences. The trap of the modern world.
- Fri, 14 Jun 2019 17:55:09 -0500
Catching up with all the WWDC info - actually pretty exciting that I could now sync a PS4 controller to ATV.
- Tue, 04 Jun 2019 15:04:14 -0500
Watching Harry Potter.
- Sun, 02 Jun 2019 21:28:55 -0500
Watched the Titus Andronicus live stream and prestige sitcom today. Like those guys a lot.
- Thu, 30 May 2019 00:40:03 -0500
I don’t have time to watch TV—and that stinks an ever so slight bit.
- Thu, 30 May 2019 00:08:12 -0500
Low end estimates are that Emily Dickinson spent a third of her life sleeping, a half writing letters, and a half writing poems.
- Mon, 27 May 2019 09:19:47 -0500
My old copy of the debut Vampire Weekend album (that fell off the back of a truck) had the wrong track order and included an extra song. Now I’ve got the correct album. My wrong version was better.
- Fri, 24 May 2019 19:37:47 -0500
Another downside to listening to your music exclusively on a streaming service: loss of privacy - you tell a big company everything about how, when, and where you listen to your music - also, obviously, What you listen to - and how often and how many times.
- Tue, 07 May 2019 09:48:03 -0500
I don’t care much that the recent glut of Marvel movies are “ending.” They’re bloated and long and tiresome. Also, they’ll never actually end. Hollywood played nerds like a fiddle.
- Thu, 25 Apr 2019 19:01:09 -0500
In about 90 minutes, will have finished listening to all 15 Shostakovich string quartets. My favorites remain #3 in F, #5 in Bb, #15 in Ebm.
- Thu, 25 Apr 2019 13:45:01 -0500
Used filtered water from the fridge to make the coffee this morning. This is the great stuff of life. Hot off the presses news and content.
- Thu, 25 Apr 2019 10:17:01 -0500
“Walking in your footsteps” Walking in your hoofprints Walking in your bootstraps Walking in your tweetstorms Walking in your gene reports Walking in your flop sweat
- Tue, 09 Apr 2019 09:28:17 -0500
Joke my daughter told today: “Birdseeds.”
- Thu, 28 Mar 2019 20:07:00 -0500
PLEASE please please please - let Nintendo be appearing again at next week’s Apple event. Get Miyamoto up there to announce MarioKart.
- Tue, 19 Mar 2019 10:50:50 -0500
Watching kids Jeopardy - for one daily double the girl wagered $150 - for another, the boy wagered $10. Ten dollars.
- Tue, 12 Mar 2019 17:50:13 -0500
I think each neighborhood should have at least 1 public printer, so people can successfully get the 1 thing each year they need printed.
- Mon, 11 Mar 2019 12:57:09 -0500
I would like to publicly apologize to my brother in law for judging the stained-ness of his thermal coffee carafe - we’ve had one for awhile, and now ours is by faaaaar more stained than his was. I didn’t know the truth then, but now I do. I was wrong and I’m sorry.
- Mon, 04 Mar 2019 19:03:54 -0600
I would like to revise my opinion of the new Vampire Weekend tune “Harmony Hall.” My kids like it and its grown on me in weeks since release. I like it.
- Sun, 03 Mar 2019 08:21:46 -0600
Band name idea: 5G Rollout
- Thu, 28 Feb 2019 15:14:36 -0600
“Blackbird”" came on my playlist and my daughter recognized it as Tim’s song in BOSS BABY - so now we’re watching BOSS BABY.
- Wed, 27 Feb 2019 12:04:53 -0600
My wife made muffins this morning - they’re amazing - but I didn’t know it was possible to make that many dirty dishes early in the morning.
- Wed, 27 Feb 2019 08:33:36 -0600
Recently I learned that in Hawaii they have a name for when it rains while still sunny: The wolf is giving birth.
- Sat, 16 Feb 2019 14:50:51 -0600
I came up with a great new name for a small batch whiskey: Old Fantastic. Go ahead and use the name if you want.
- Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:58:00 -0600
I would like some kind of augmented reality situation where people passing by could see a pop up display of what book I’m reading on my e-reader.
- Fri, 08 Feb 2019 14:11:19 -0600
Watching today: Slow TV: Bergen to Oslo - a 7 hour train ride.
- Tue, 05 Feb 2019 10:01:07 -0600
What does it mean that the Apostle Paul, and a fair amount of his friends, believed that Jesus was about to return at any moment?
- Mon, 04 Feb 2019 08:07:25 -0600
Right now debating what to do tonight - try to get a few more Bandersnatch endings, watch Buster Scruggs, watch Nausicaa, watch Batman Begins, or start a replay of Chrono Trigger.
- Fri, 01 Feb 2019 15:31:01 -0600
Doing dishes. This has been my greatest success of 2019 so far. Lots of dishes done.
- Mon, 14 Jan 2019 14:36:55 -0600
Is it “She’ll be riding” or “She’ll be driving” Six White Horses when she comes? Got to be driving, right? One can’t ride six horses at the same time.
- Mon, 14 Jan 2019 09:54:44 -0600
My wife keeps telling me “Use up the old coffee BEFORE you open the new.” But life is short and difficult.
- Thu, 10 Jan 2019 16:10:25 -0600
Is there anything worse than the way Messenger tries so hard to keep you in the app when you tap a link? Feels desperate - the way they hide the Open in Safari button is criminal.
- Tue, 08 Jan 2019 18:01:32 -0600
One can’t respond to the PCO request too soon after it’s issued. Gotta let em stew and wonder just a bit.
- Mon, 07 Jan 2019 15:23:29 -0600
Listening to Leonard Cohen today. Planning to listen to Einstein on the Beach later this evening.
- Sat, 05 Jan 2019 09:25:45 -0600
Do I enjoy Snapchat more than the cluttered & claustrophobic IG? Yes. Are there more folks who might enjoy and interact and see what I say/shoot on IG? Yes. Am I still mad at FB/IG for wholesale ripping off Snap stories? Yes.
- Sun, 16 Dec 2018 19:20:28 -0600
Bob Dylan’s Christmas album - man it’s bad - his croaking voice is not a fit for Little Drummer Boy or carols.
- Sun, 16 Dec 2018 08:01:44 -0600
Listening to a 7 hour 80s soft rock playlist today. Winner of a playlist. Great one playlist.
- Wed, 14 Nov 2018 09:23:36 -0600
Cooooooold here in FW TX today. Of course, cold is relative - but I’m surprised to what extent I’ve already adjusted to the weather norms here.
- Tue, 13 Nov 2018 18:30:04 UTC
Listening to Rich Mullins this morning - A Liturgy, A Legacy, A Ragamuffin Band. Let’s talk about how mediocre a song is Awesome God, and how great a songwriter was R Mull.
- Tue, 23 Oct 2018 10:11:58 -0500